[ntp:hackers] Build quirks: Error 96, gnome-config

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Mar 6 19:26:16 UTC 2011

> Nothing in NTP even knows that gnome exists.  The last test is doing
> something close to:

> pkg-config --libs libevent

%pkg-config --libs libevent
gnome-config: not found
Package libevent was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libevent.pc'
No package 'libevent' found
%

> The message is likely coming from pkg-config because you have a .pc file
> somewhere on your PKG_CONFIG_PATH (or the default .pc path used by your
> pkg-config) mentioning gnome-config.pc but do not have a gnome-config.pc on
> that path.

I didn't even know what a .pc file is.  I don't think I have any of them.

The author section of the man page for pkg-config mentions gnome-config but
doesn't actually say why it's relevant.  I assume pkg-config used some code
from gnome-config.

%strings /usr/local/bin/pkg-config | grep gnome
libgnomevfs
Calling gnome-vfs-config
gnome-vfs-config --version
gnome-vfs-config --libs
gnome-vfs-config
gnome-vfs-config --cflags
Calling gnome-config
gnome-config --libs %s
gnome-config --modversion %s
gnome-config
gnome-config --cflags %s
%
%strings /usr/local/bin/pkg-config | grep found
Package %s was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Package '%s', required by '%s', not found
No package '%s' found
%

Thanks.

I'll go hack my script to skip over that message.