[ntp:hackers] The Distinction between Development and Stable

reg at dwf.com reg at dwf.com
Mon Mar 28 22:39:09 UTC 2011

I am unhappy with the current system for updates to ntp.

Perhaps I just don't understand the system, and
I hate to complain when everyone working on the system is
a volunteer, but I think this is significant.

The problem is with their being a Development and a Stable Distribution.

In the past we had a single line of development for ntp.
Then the distinction between Development and Stable was made, with
the implication that only serious errors would be corrected in both
Stable and Development, and all other changes would be made in Development
only.  This clearly is not what is going on.

My assumption was that folks using the Development branch would discover
any problems with the patches applied there, before they became a part
of the Stable branch.  And there was an inherent implication that
the Development branch would be 'swept' into the Stable branch at
reasonable intervals.  My assumption for the timing of a 'sweep' would
be the next Release Candidate of the Stable release.

This does not seem to be the case.

I have some patches in the Development version of ntp that have been
sitting there for a year.  It would seem that the ONLY way a patch
is going to make it into the Stable version of ntp is to put it there
directly, which then opens the question of WHY we have both Distributions.

There seem to be lots of changes being made to Stable, yet the
changes which have been tested for a year in Development are still
there.

Do I make one GIANT update to the ONCORE driver (it would be over
1000 lines) of the differences between Development and Stable and
submit it?  I had assumed that BK had some sort of 'pull' mechanism
and that this would be invoked every now and then, but that
does not seem to be the case.

So, do I misunderstand the update process, or do I need to make
the GIANT update???

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com