[ntp:hackers] The Distinction between Development and Stable

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Tue Mar 29 17:09:40 UTC 2011

I have the same sort of problem with the current system in use for
stable and development.

I realize that there can be different ways of distinguishing between
stable and development. But just by the names we can guess that stable
undergoes little movement, with only bug fixes.

For my particular situation, I have a slightly expanded definition that
meets my needs. In my case, the determining factor is whether or not a
particular change introduces a backwards compatibility. As long as no
change requires operator intervention on upgrade, then I can accept it.

But this is a wider range of changes than I would expect from the more
common terminology. Others might have a narrower definition of what
changes are acceptable.

But I know that there have been a number of changes in stable in the
past that have not met either set of criteria.

And from what Reg is saying, sometimes simple bug fixes do not get back
ported.

So, it would seem that it would make sense to define and publish exactly
what the aim of the two distributions is and the criteria for changes to
each.

--
blu

violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
Brian Utterback - Solaris RPE, Oracle Corporation.
Ph:603-262-3916, Em:brian.utterback at oracle.com