[ntp:hackers] Leap second list file

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sun Jan 15 17:31:29 UTC 2012

On 1/15/2012 12:00 PM, Danny Mayer wrote:

> Actually, part of the protocol indicates the leap second is coming up.
> You don't have to copy leap second files to get the notification.

You do need it if you're running a cluster of stratum 1 servers, or you
don't trust whatever external server(s) you're peering with to get it
right. As I recall, whether to act on the leap second indication is
decided on a voting basis.

The info has to come from somewhere, and controlling it yourself is the
only sure way.