[ntp:hackers] Leap second list file

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Mon Jan 16 02:30:11 UTC 2012

On 1/15/2012 3:17 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2012, at 10:31 AM, Mike S wrote:
>
>> On 1/15/2012 12:00 PM, Danny Mayer wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, part of the protocol indicates the leap second is coming up.
>>> You don't have to copy leap second files to get the notification.
>>
>> You do need it if you're running a cluster of stratum 1 servers,
>> or
you don't trust whatever external server(s) you're peering with to get
it right. As I recall, whether to act on the leap second indication is
decided on a voting basis.

>> The info has to come from somewhere, and controlling it yourself is the only sure way.
>
> Also, it is only 'leap second at the end of today' nor 'leap second at end of the month'

No, that's not what it says. See below:

LI Leap Indicator (leap): 2-bit integer warning of an impending leap
   second to be inserted or deleted in the last minute of the current
   month with values defined in Figure 9.