[ntp:hackers] Leap second list file

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Mon Jan 16 08:52:12 UTC 2012

> Actually, part of the protocol indicates the leap second is
> coming up.  You don't have to copy leap second files to get the
> notification. See RFC 5905 Section 7.3 on the LI bits. It gets
> set during the month in which the leap second is to be added or
> removed.

But this information flows from the stratum-1 NTP servers
downwards via the synchronization chain, yes?  So what if I
manage a number of PPS-controlled stratum-1 NTP servers?  I
suspect the answer then is "You need to configure the leap
seconds file on your stratum-1 NTP servers" -- correct?

And ... my apologies for jumping the gun earlier.  At least it
appears that I managed to craft a correct copy of the new entry
once I got a copy of the older file, so that I could see the file
format.

Regards,

- Håvard