[ntp:hackers] BusError from ntpd on FreeBSD 9.1

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Aug 4 07:38:55 UTC 2013

stenn at ntp.org said:
> I've never seen or heard of this before.  If I think of anything I'll let
> you know, and I am running ntp-dev on FreeBSD-9 on a lot of machines.

Thanks.  That's what I expected.  On the other hand, somebody has to be the
first one to stumble into a bug/quirk.

It comes and it goes.  I noticed the backtrace had troubles printing args.

> #9  0x0805a00c in ntpdmain (argc=0, argv=0xbfbfebe4) at ../../ntpd/ntpd.c:775
> #10 0x0805a602 in main (argc=Cannot access memory at address 0x53
> ) at ../../ntpd/ntpd.c:274

So I added some simple printfs.  (I think parse_cmdline_opts smashes them,
but don't understand why it gets the ones in main.)  It started working.  So
I removed the printfs.  It kept working.  So I pushed over a fresh copy and
rebuilt from scratch.  It's still working.

I rebooted and built it again.  Now it's crashing again.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.