[ntp:hackers] how to update docs, add keywords, add opts, etc.

Oliver Kindernay oliver.kindernay at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 17:43:28 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 12:55:23PM -0400, Brian Utterback wrote:
> I am confused about how to change things in that are autogen-ed and
> how to get them to autogen.

I can answer this. The autogened stuff is generated from .def files,
usually called something-opts.def. You can run autogen on them yourself
but the generation is handled by Makefiles. Look into Makefile.am
files.

> I have a repo on pogo. I would like to update the docs and have the
> chnages propagate to the man pages. It looks to me like the html
> files in the html directory are the source. IS that correct? Once I
> edit a file in the html directory, how do I get it to autogen new
> derivative files?

Note that the conversion between mdoc macros in .def files and classic
man macros is not currently complete and you may experience some broken
formatting when generating man pages and .texi files. I am currently
working on this.

> Same question for changing the ntp.conf file. It looks like I just
> need to modify keyword-gen.c and ntp_parser.y, but how do I get it
> to create new derivative files.
>
> Same question (again) for the command line opts.
>
> Finally, is this documented somewhere? I looked in the Wiki and the
> README files, but didn't find anything.
>
> Oh, and one last thing. Once I get everything up to data, is there a
> procedure for how to create a distribution tarball from the updated
> repo? I would like to take the tarball and test it on my target
> systems.

Harlan Stenn could possibly answer this better but I would say run "make
dist" in the root of the repository.

> Brian Utterback

I am sorry you got this message twice, I forgot to cc mailing list the
first time.

Oliver Kindernay