[ntp:hackers] 4.2.8 release update

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Aug 7 19:06:52 UTC 2013

Kurt Roeckx writes:
> Harlan,
>
> It seems to be taking a very long time to get this 4.2.8 version.
>
> It seems we currently have 20 bugs that are marked as blocking
> the 4.2.8 release, and I think at this rate we're never going
> to make a release.
>
> Would it be an option to only consider those bugs as blockers
> if they are regressions from 4.2.6?  That it, in 4.2.6 it worked
> and in 4.2.8 it stopped working?

I am planning on recategorizing several of the current blockers to the
ntp4-5.0 release.

And folks have been very good about finding new problems to be fixed,
and reporting them.

But yes, I know that "software isn't finished until the last user is
dead" and I'm about to reduce the level of excellence needed for the
4.2.8 release.

More about this as soon as I can.