[ntp:hackers] hackers] how to update docs, add keywords, add opts, etc.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 10 04:21:31 UTC 2013

From: Hal Murray
[]
There is a layer of stuff in the Makefiles that tries to avoid doing
unnecessary work.  The one I saw the other day made a new version of xxx and
compared it to the old version after removing both the time-stamp lines in
both files.  If there was no change (except the time stamps), it didn't
update the old version of xxx.

If it were up to me, I think I would remove all that stuff.  Computers are
fast enough now that it's not a serious problem to do a few extra compiles.
I think simplifying the Makefiles and build process would be a good trade.
[For reference, it's 2-5 minutes to do a configure and make.  That's using a
local disk on a PC.  I'll get solid numbers if anybody wants.]
[]

.. but on the Raspberry Pi, for example, configure and make takes
approaching an hour, so a "few extra compiles" would definitely NOT be
welcome!

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu