[ntp:hackers] Question about USB3... anyone played with it?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Dec 11 20:00:14 UTC 2013

Yo Greg!

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:52:43 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> TSG - personal <tglassey at earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > We all know USB2 is horrible for 1PPS - how about USB3?
>
> I have a GR601-W, which seems to have a 1ms variation.

Yeah, can't call that horrible, that is better than you'll get
on GigE sitting next to a Stratum 1.

>  I am pretty
> sure it's a USB1 device.

The GR-601W is USB 1.1

>  I am unaware of any USB2 devices for time,
> let alone USB3.  Can you point to USB2 devices?

I have a USB 2 serial adapter: C232HM.  I plane to hook it up to a
serial GPS w/ PPS to see what happens, but is a bit down my todo list.
Beyond that I know of know other USB 2 or USB 3 solutions or kludges.

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588