[ntp:hackers] NTP manual pages: man and mdoc tags...

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Jan 14 22:20:25 UTC 2013

BK> Exactly my situation.  man and mdoc need wrappers that figure out
BK> which macros are in use and invokes the correct program to interpret
BK> the thing.

The mdoc and man (really doc.tmac and an.tmac; the initial m referes to
the option passed to the 'roff) here are arguments to troff, nroff,
groff, etc.  Not commands to run.

The man(1) programs handle an.tmac vs doc.tmac transparently to the user.
Usually by way of an andoc.tmac macro file.

On a system using groff(1), man(1) typically runs one of:

   /usr/bin/nroff -Tascii -mandoc
   /usr/bin/nroff -Tutf8 -mandoc

to format the man or mdoc pages for the screen.

If you have a /usr/bin/mdoc file, that probably is unrelated.  The one
on my box here is part of http://www.mono-project.com/.

-JimC