[ntp:hackers] What does "interface listen wildcard" do?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Mon Jul 8 21:01:26 UTC 2013

Listening on the wildcard address is not normally useful here. The
listen that was added for the wildcard was done because at least one O/S
was not getting packets on the NTP port but I don't remember which O/S
and which type of packet. You should not normally need the wildcard
socket for broadcast. I haven't looked at the code for some years but it
should be seeing and receiving broadcast packets if the right socket
info is set up for it.

I know it used to work, I did plenty of debugging with broadcast packets.

Danny