[ntp:hackers] What does "interface listen wildcard" do?

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Fri Jul 12 14:33:57 UTC 2013

On 07/12/13 09:40, Danny Mayer wrote:
> If IP_PKTINFO was generally available on all O/S's with all of the
> information we needed it would have made some things easier but with the
> resulting problem of how to deal with incoming packets sent to an
> address that the admin didn't want to have people using.

The same way we do now, drop it. Remember that we do bind and receive
packets on the wildcard address, we just drop them.

Look, I think that the time has come to do some re-examination of some
of the design choices and to decide what the minimum requirements for
support are and look at doing some re-factoring based on those
decisions. Maybe we could take a modular approach and hide a lot of the
implementation details behind an abstraction layer, possibly turn some
of the design choices plugins.

We have had this same conversation nine years ago and then again five
years ago. If getting broadcast working again is doable, great. If not,
I can live with that. If we want to come out with an official "broadcast
is deprecated, use multicast" document, even better. But how about we
get down to it, define the minimum requirements and get cracking? We
keep speculating on whether this or that feature is supported on this or
that platform, but we don't really know, do we?

--
blu

violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
Brian Utterback - Solaris RPE, Oracle Corporation.
Ph:603-262-3916, Em:brian.utterback at oracle.com