[ntp:hackers] What does "interface listen wildcard" do?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sun Jul 14 00:52:24 UTC 2013

On 7/12/2013 10:37 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com said:
>> You can't refuse the packet: it's a stateless connection.
>
> "State" is a fuzzy word in this context.  How much state do you need?  UDP
> doesn't have sequence numbers, but the receiver does have the whole packet so
> it can send something back to the sender to say "didn't work".  I'd call that
> "refused".

No, that not the meaning of refused. The meaning of refused is that the
system is refusing to accept packets sent to a particular address and
port number.

Stateless means that the packet is sent and the packet may or may not be
received. There is no acknowledgement, unlike TCP. Delivery is not
guaranteed.