[ntp:hackers] Bypassing default synchronization

tsg tglassey at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 14:25:08 UTC 2013

On 07/18/2013 07:10 AM, Brian Utterback wrote:
> On 7/18/2013 6:47 AM, cedric gava wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> We need to setup a particular initial synchronization process to fulfill
>> our customer's need. For this purpose, we are studying two options :
>> using only ntp configuration and commands with ntpdc or hacking.
>>
>> We have two issues, at the moment, which make us think that we will have
>> to hack :
>> 1 - The first synchronization process takes 5 minutes, we don't know yet
>> if this can be reduced to less than 30-10 seconds only by configuration
>> 2 - Will it be possible to fine tune ntp time by commands
>>
>> This question is border-line with the list, but is a go/nogo question
>> regarding hacking ntpd.
>>
>> Thank you, in advance, for any help
>> Best regards
>> Cedric
>>

> I am having a little bit of a problem understanding what you are
> asking. But for the one part I think I do understand, if you are using
> a late model of NTP, then you can use the iburst keyword to get that
> five minutes down to a few seconds.

also using the -g setting variable could possibly help in the
initialization practice depending on how far out. But one possibility is
to just run NTPDATE or SNTP to from a client-perspective do the
initialization-event outside of the Server itslef. This will come up
instantly and works well.

Todd

> Brian Utterback.

// Standard "perasonal email" disclaimers apply