[ntp:hackers] Bypassing default synchronization

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jul 19 02:01:49 UTC 2013

gava.c at free.fr said:
> If I try to be clearer : the first initialization of system clock is a
> particular process that shall take the max time of some other NTP servers.
> Each server communicate is time using broadcast for a certain amount of
> time, and at the end of this period, they all take the date of the server
> which has the greater date.  Our idea is either : to start ntpd, and playing
> with commands and traps, making it following this initialization process. Or
> to change ntpd if we can't do with traps and commands... We thought of a
> last idea : make a small program that uses libntp to initialize system clock
> following the process I mentioned before, and then start ntpd

I can't figure out what you are trying to do and/or why.

> shall take the max time of some other NTP servers
That sounds like a bad idea.  What are you going to do if some server that
you have chosen is broken and is serving the time 10 years in the future.

There is a long history of broken NTP servers.  A major fraction of the
complexities of the reference NTP package is heuristics to avoid problems
like that.

> We thought of a last idea : make a small program that uses libntp to
> initialize system clock following the process I mentioned before, and then
> start ntpd

That seems unlikely to work any better than starting ntpd with the
appropriate command line switches.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.