[ntp:hackers] Where did BLOCKING_REQ_MAGIC and BLOCKING_RESP_MAGIC get their values?

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Mon Jul 29 15:36:55 UTC 2013

On 07/29/13 11:22, Warner Losh wrote:
> MAXINT is signed. Those magic numbers have the top bit set, so are larger than ints, hence the warning.
>
> The magic numbers are needed to make sure the packets are of the proper type, so can't be assigned arbitrarily by the compiler.

I understand why there is a warning, but are they arbitrary or not? Is
there something outside the code that dictates their values? If not, I
don't understand why a 1 and 2 or even 0 and 1 wouldn't work just as
well. If there is some reason why sinple number won't work here, how
about the same numbers but without the sign bit set?

--
blu

violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
Brian Utterback - Solaris RPE, Oracle Corporation.
Ph:603-262-3916, Em:brian.utterback at oracle.com