[ntp:hackers] ntpq width output

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 07:36:35 UTC 2014

Dan Mahoney suggested we consider an option (-w/--wide) that would print
out the entire "remote" value, and if this caused the output to "spill
over" into adjacent columns, we just emit a newline and print out the
remaining columns properly indented on the next line:

# ntpq -p -n
jitter
*2001:4f8:0:2::1d
                 .GPS.            1 u   42   64  377   14.169   -1.798
0.164
+aaaa:dead:beef:cafe:f000:b000:abcd:ef10
                 129.6.15.28      2 u   33   64  377   87.234    2.405
1.088

There would be no change if the "remote" value fits.

Comments?
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>

Harlan,

For use in e-mails, a restriction of with to 72 characters or less would be
useful, perhaps by restricting the output to two decimal places rather than
3, and (very) perhaps, making the reach a hex filed rather than octal!  I
venture to suggest that hex is better understood than octal these days.

At the moment, I have no use for IPv6.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu