[ntp:hackers] Pending changes for Linux 3.17 to improve clock freq adjustments w/ NOHZ

John Stultz john.stultz at linaro.org
Thu Jul 31 00:37:07 UTC 2014

Hey all,
  Just wanted to give folks a heads up. Thanks to Miroslav's great
insight and analysis, I've queued some changes for 3.17 to improve the
kernel's internal frequency steering when NOHZ is enabled. In testing
so far this has greatly improved oversteering that has always caused
trouble w/ NOHZ enabled systems.

Miroslav and I have been (slowly) working on improving the behaviour
even further for very tightly synced systems using his simulator, but
those changes aren't quite ready yet. None the less, we decided to
queue the current changes that should show a nice improvement, so I
wanted to mail this list so folks were aware, and if interested could
do some additional testing.

The changes are currently available in the -tip tree:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git timers/core

And should likely be merged into 3.17-rc1. I'd greatly appreciate any
extra testing or verification that the changes don't negatively impact
anyone. So if you see any regression, I'd very much appreciate hearing
about it so we can revert the change before 3.17 is released.

thanks!
-john