[ntp:hackers] NTP Development Snapshot 4.3.88 Released

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 14:20:02 UTC 2015

Version 4.3.81 is happy being self-referential.  For example, my NTPD server
computer, the one that accesses time from external servers and distributes
it on the LAN, went down.  So, FreeNAS accessed its time from this computer,
and this computer depended on FreeNAS for its time, all w/o and distress
calls or warnings.  I am almost sure this could not happen in the past.  In
any case, it should not be possible in the future.  For example, the
Meinberg NTP Time Server Monitor should show that neither computer actually
knows what time it is, perhaps by showing the selected clock in gray (w/o
the asterisk in the left-hand column).

Charles Elliott