[ntp:hackers] make check thrashing: looks like test_recv_packet in test-ntp_signd

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Dec 11 23:40:21 UTC 2015

I'm trying to run make check on a Raspberry Pi.  It's only got 512 megabytes
of memory.

If I run test-ntp_signd by hand, it prints
  t-ntp_signd.c:67:test_connect_incorrect_socket:PASS
  t-ntp_signd.c:68:test_connect_correct_socket:PASS
  t-ntp_signd.c:69:test_write_all:PASS
  t-ntp_signd.c:70:test_send_packet:PASS
and then seems to hang.

top running in another window stops updating.
^C works, eventually.  I'm pretty sure it will finish if I wait long enough,
but 10 minutes isn't enough.

If I run make check on another machine, I find test-ntp_signd.log, which says:
  t-ntp_signd.c:67:test_connect_incorrect_socket:PASS
  t-ntp_signd.c:68:test_connect_correct_socket:PASS
  t-ntp_signd.c:69:test_write_all:PASS
  t-ntp_signd.c:70:test_send_packet:PASS
  t-ntp_signd.c:71:test_recv_packet:PASS
  t-ntp_signd.c:72:test_send_via_ntp_signd:PASS
so I assume that test_recv_packet is the part causing the trouble.

Is anybody familiar with this area?  Is there any reason that test should use
lots of memory?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.