[ntp:hackers] ntpd for Windows stops working with "Read from Socket failed: err=1232"
martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Dec 16 10:38:20 UTC 2015
I've recently received 3 reports from users where ntpd v4.2.8 or
v4.2.8p4 under Windows stopped working after some time with an error:
Read from Socket failed: err=1232, 'The network location cannot be
reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.'
Unfortunately I've been unable to duplicate the problem, yet.
Here are some facts I've received from the affected users:
- NTP version is 4.2.8 or 4.2.8p4
- Windows versions are Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows
Server 2012 R2
- In at least 2 cases ntpd runs in a VM under VMware
- In one case it only stops working on "Secondary IPs", "Primary IPs"
- In one case the problem occurred always about 1024 seconds after ntpd
was started. Other instances run 5 to 10 minutes, or even 3 to 5 days
- In one case the problem happened less often after interface link speed
was changed from 1000MB/s to 100MB/s
- In all cases the network connectivity on those interfaces is not
affected, except for ntpd
- the loopback interface is not affected, both 127.0.0.1 and ::1 still
- Restarting ntpd fixes the problem
Anyone knows what could be the problem?
I've already opened a bug report, so if anyone has a hint please add it
Senior Software Engineer
MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30
Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
More information about the hackers