[ntp:hackers] Modern FreeBSD NTP Stratum 1 server?

Terje Mathisen terje at tmsw.no
Wed Dec 16 13:59:57 UTC 2015

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, for a couple of days now to replace
my old S1 server (ntp1.tmsw.no) which was entered in the pool with an
IPv6 address only:

The new server was based on PC-BSD 10.1, then I downloaded all the ports
and all the kernel source code in order to build a custom kernel.

(I first tried to simply use kldload to load the PPS modulu which seemed
to work but when configuring ntpd (latest ntp-dev code) it didn't seem
like pps was located so the ntpd binary was built without PPS support.)

Anyway, after the custom kernel was installed I did get one YES for pps
during configure, but that didn't seem to be enough, because when I load
ntpd I get messages in /var/log/messages stating that the ppsapi is
unusable. :-(

So my question to the list is: Does anyone have recent experience in
making ntpd + pps work on FreeBSD?

Terje
PS. The reason I'm doing this is because the old server crashed, so I
can't simply copy all the conf files from that one. :-(

--
- <Terje at tmsw.no>