[ntp:hackers] refclock servers and the stratum option

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Feb 23 16:12:20 UTC 2015

todd wrote:
> The better way to do this is with an Attestation or Relational Standing.
> If the clock is a legal one then it is the legal clock no matter how
> accurate it is and should be followed. The issue here is commerce and
> the ability to properly synchronize and record it so the current model
> is actually pretty functional I think.
>
> The real issue is in being able to select between multiple certifiable
> sources. The issue is more of a policy and control one than in selecting
> the most accurate clock.

I agree that there are different requirements from different users.

Some like to prefer the legal or certified time sources over the more
accurate ones (e.g. German customers may want to prefer DCF-77 over GPS
since DCF77 is the legal German time source), but others usually want to
prefer the sources providing best accuracy.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Web: http://www.meinberg.de