[ntp:hackers] Recent C99-isms

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Jan 6 08:24:11 UTC 2015

Hi Harlan,

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Martin Burnicki writes:
>> So I think the best way to go is to add a MISSING in config.h for VS
>> versions before VS2013, and no more action is required for other build
>> environments unless the same problem occurs.
>>
>> I'll submit such patch tomorrow.
>
> Sounds good to me.  You're going to handle this "manually" for the
> config.h in Windows,

Yep.

> and I'm going to need a 'configure' test to set the
> correct value for Unix boxes.  Shouldn't be that hard to do...

Are you OK with the MISSING_ approach, or would you prefer the HAVE_
approach as it is used with most other conditionals?

With the MISSING_ approach it is eventually sufficient to update the
Windows-specific config.h file, and no automake stuff is required unless
there are Unix versions which also need to define MISSING_.

With the HAVE_ approach you *have to* update the automake stuff to be
sure HAVE_ is defined for most platforms.

BTW, I was pretty astonished that Danny agreed with my proposal. I'm not
sure if that ever happened before. ;-))

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Web: http://www.meinberg.de