[ntp:hackers] NTP Release Candidate 4.2.8p1-RC1 Released

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jan 29 17:18:10 UTC 2015

Yo juergen!

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:41:42 +0100
"juergen perlinger" <juergen.perlinger at t-online.de> wrote:

> I can cook up & code a lot of things. But it looks to me ideas are
> flapping around. It starts with a specific bug, then additional
> features creep in.

My mind has been made up on this for years, so I promise no feature creep
from me.

> I would propose that we use a few more mode bits:
>       one group to define the access rights policy: mode 0600 / 0660
> or 0666.
>       another bit to define the owner, either root.root or whatever
> the runtime user might be (given with the -u option).

Agreed.  With the default user:group as the running user:group after
any root drop and the default perms as 660.

> These steps can all be done while being root, and once done (during
> driver startup) NTPD can drop privileges.

And with my defaults as above, they can also be done AFTER dropping
privs.

> That would IMHO be the most sensible approach. And to avoid breaking
> changes, (though it *might* break the current 'private' bit) the
> default would be to create the SHM segments as we currently do.

Since the current 'private' bit is new, there is no legacy installation
broken.

> The point is that I'm not going to drop this into a pending release.
> My experience with 'last minute improvements' is BAD, as well in my
> professional as in my hobbyist projects. The same goes for 'last
> minute bug fixes', but they are much harder to avoid.

Agreed, except, this is not a new complaint.  It only now gets traction
because it continues to hold up a release.

A compromise would be to make the new defaults the same as the old
functionality.  Then it is likely less than a dozen lines of code and
will be trivial to test.

> And while a lot of people don't care about Windows (and I don't like
> it much personally) we should still develop an idea how to map this
> to that platform.

Yup, I don't care about Windows.  Feel free to develop away without
interference from me.

RGDS
GARY