[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Jul 9 21:48:42 UTC 2015

In theory I agree with you.  But reality bites.

We still see huge numbers of people running very old versions of NTP.
How do you propose to get lots of devices to get upgraded kernels in
order to properly handle a leap second?

If they *do* properly handle the leap second, how do you get lots of
instances of *appliations* to properly handle what looks to them like a
backward time step?