[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jul 10 01:03:04 UTC 2015

> NTP shouldn't be involved in "smearing" time, at all. The only reason  for
> smeared time is because of systems (e.g. POSIX) which don't properly
> support leap seconds. Any smearing should be done by the OS, not NTP...

Actually, if you are going to do smearing, NTP is a fine place to do it.  It
lets you implement smearing without all the effort and risks of updating the
kernels on all[1] your client systems.

The problem is mixing smearing and non-smearing servers.

-------

1:  I wonder how many large organizations know where all their systems that would need updating are located and where to get the new kernel.  Aside from the routers and printer/fax machines there are probably a few systems hidden in back corners doing something important without much attention.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.