[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Fri Jul 10 16:11:33 UTC 2015

On 7/10/2015 11:56 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> Coupled with the attitude of “it’s only a second, why should I care?”
> It seems the whole enterprise is working around the fact that leap
> seconds break the fundamental assumption that we all learned in
> school that minutes always have 60 seconds. An assumption that goes
> back a very long time.

That goes hand-in-hand with the fundamental linkage of human time with
Sol, which goes back even further. When civil time moved from GMT to
UTC, maintaining that linkage was given priority to maintaining the 60
second convention. Now there are people who want to reverse that
decision to fix their own flaws which they've had 45 years to fix,
without regard to the fact that it will break the systems of people who
rely on that linkage. Selfish in the extreme.