[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jul 10 17:06:08 UTC 2015

The thing I don't really get about the leap second debate is that we
have two timescales with the two properties people want.  TAI is
straightforward, with no leap seconds, monitic, etc., but not linked to
UT1.  UTC has leap seconds but tracks UT1.  So if people don't like UTC,
they can just use TAI.   Creating an nth system that's like TAI but with
a fixed offset is just more mess, like GPS time.

Of course, if the world's civil authorities decided to rebaseline zone
times to TAI, we've have an even bigger jump, once.