[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Jul 10 20:12:24 UTC 2015

Warner Losh writes:
> Coupled with the attitude of =E2=80=9Cit=E2=80=99s only a second, why
> should I care?=E2=80=9D It seems the whole enterprise is working around
> the fact that leap seconds break the fundamental assumption that we all
> learned in school that minutes always have 60 seconds. An assumption
> that goes back a very long time.

Yes, and we also learned "a year has 365 days in it" until we learned
that wasn't quite right, either.

If you want to use a timescale that counts seconds since an epoch,
please do.

If you want to use a timescale that is useful for navigation then please
do.

There are a huge number of other timescales you might want to follow as
well.

Just know why you are using the timescale you are using, and understand
its scope and limitations.

Help NTF get the General Timestamp API implemented, so we can take
timestamps in different timescales and use them, appropriately.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>