[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Jul 11 03:00:08 UTC 2015

> On Jul 10, 2015, at 2:22 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
>
> Warner Losh writes:
>>> Trying to fix system problems by redefining UTC to lack leap seconds
>>> is like making math easier by redefining Pi to be 3.
>>
>> That=E2=80=99s a false analogy. UTC is an artificial construct designed
>> for the convenience of humans, while pi is fundamental.
>
> It's not that false.  Everything tastes more or less like chicken.
>
> pi may be a fundamental *constant* but solar time is also
> *fundamental*.  It's just not moving at a constant rate.

The second is also *fundamental*. It is moving at a constant rate.
Given the tiny difference between them, I do not thing that one can
say with absolute certainty that one is more fundamental than the
other. That’s why I maintain it is a false analogy. There’s no debate
about the value of pi, or how to derive it.

Warner