[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Fri Jun 19 19:30:31 UTC 2015

Hi Terje,

Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at  02:52:58PM +0200, Martin Burnicki wrote:
>>> This smear time is applied to both the receive time stamp and the
>>> transmit time stamp when answering client requests.
>>
>> I think the correction should be applied also to the reference
>> timestamp, otherwise the client could drop the packet if the transmit
>> time was before reference time.
>>

> That's a good point, but I'd fix it by simply subtracting one from the
> reference time, i.e. making sure that it was always be in the past even
> from a smeared time value which is close to a full second off.

If the same offset is subtracted from the receive time, the transmit
time and the reference time in the reply packet then this is basically
the same as the unmodified reply packet, except that all timestamps are
consistently off by the same amount.

So what would be the advantage of your approach? Just curious.

Martin