[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jun 19 21:37:10 UTC 2015

>  >> Folks,
>  >>
>  >> I'm sure I left some folks off this list who would have useful
>  >> opinions.
>  >>
>  >> I've got a patch in the queue to have ntpd smear the leap second.
>  >> ntpd would answer queries using this smeared time.
>  >>
>  >> I've got folks like Meinberg telling me they are going to
>  >> implement this because they have major customers who really want
>  >> it.
>  >>
>  >> If I implement this patch, some folks will say I'm a "bad guy".
>  >>
>  >> If I don't implement this patch, some folks will say I'm a "bad
>  >> guy". In particular, Meinberg will be unhappy because they have
>  >> customers who want this, and they don't like implementing things
>  >> that are not in our release.  They have also been very good to NTP
>  >> and NTF.  I'd rather keep them happy.

My vote would be to take the patch as long as nothing happens until ntp.conf
is changed.

It's clearly better for everybody to share the workload and/or not reinvent
things, and share testing.  It also avoids confusion if we are all discussing
the same code base.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.