[ntp:hackers] smearing the leap second

brian utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Tue Jun 23 14:46:16 UTC 2015

On 6/23/2015 7:48 AM, Terje Mathisen wrote:
> All clients which you  want to smear instead of stepping the clock at
> midnight _must_ be connected directly to one or more of these servers,
> and have _no_ other sources of time info, including leap second
> information as in a current leap second file.

All well and good to say, but from a practical standpoint it needs to be
enforced. I would venture a guess that the vast majority of NTP clients
are controlled by naive admins with control of one or a small number of
servers plugged into a larger NTP network.

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Brian Utterback | Principal Software Engineer