[ntp:hackers] Using authentication

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Nov 5 19:26:01 UTC 2015

stenn at ntp.org said:
>> Brian Utterback writes:
>> However, the change doesn't actually fix the problem it just makes the
>> window of opportunity smaller. The only real fix is to use authentication.

> I'm not really sure that's true either.
> - use enough NTP servers
> - monitor your ntpd instances

How many is enough?  As far as I can see, adding more servers just makes the
window smaller.  You might have an interesting point, but you haven't
provided any numbers to show that it's practical to add enough servers to
make the window small enough.

Is monitoring really going to solve the problem?  What are you going to do
when you notice something fishy going on?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.