[ntp:hackers] A stop-gap authenticated time service

brian utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Wed Nov 11 14:08:09 UTC 2015

On 11/11/2015 3:32 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <20151111065510.GT11550 at localhost>, Miroslav Lichvar writes:
>
>> What has changed significantly since the old days is the network
>> jitter. It went down by orders of magnitude, so the Allan intercept is
>> much shorter than before and ntpd is too slow now.
> Do you have measurements to back this up, and if so, are they
> representative of the median network paths rather than one particular
> installation ?

I'm with PHK on this. The minimum RTT has fallen and with it the minimum
jitter, but my experience is that jitter across longer network paths has
gone up if anything. I don't have any generally applicable data to back
that up and your mileage may vary, but I haven't seen a decrease of
jitter on my networks.

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Brian Utterback | Principle Software Engineer