[ntp:hackers] A stop-gap authenticated time service

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Wed Nov 11 16:42:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:24:10PM +0100, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> I don't have any data from the time when NTP was developed. My
> impression from what I have read about NTP is that jitter in hundreds
> of milliseconds was considered good back then.

	Miroslav,

	What do you think a cellular connection looks like today?
Or bad airport WiFi?

	I'm not so sure I'd write off some of those assumptions
just yet, at least not without some hard data around it.  The
implementation has to be prepared to handle anything out there,
not just the common case.

	Now, are clocks more stable, sure...and some adjustments
can be made there.  But we shouldn't apply first world standards
to assumptions about network connectivity; there are a surprising
number of 3G management links, loaded T1s, WiFi bridges, etc.
out there in the world.

	--msa