[ntp:hackers] NTP cores in authistrustedip.

tglassey at earthlink.net tglassey at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 17:44:19 UTC 2016

This raises the question about policy-specific time-service requests and
how the Client asks for specialty services from the Server or the reverse.

Autokey had several other uses - the issue is whether those are
important enough to redesign the 'service request' packaging portion of
the communications work flow.

Todd Glassey

On 04/21/2016 07:22 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Martin Burnicki writes:
>> A side-effect of autokey is that it transfers the current TAI offset to
>> the clients, and I know some folks who explicitly use autokey for this
>> purpose.
>>
>> Harlan, I know this could also be achieved by using a leap second file,
>> and that there's a script somewhere which tries to download an upgrade
>> the leap second file automatically. ;-)
>>
>> However, using autokey for this is much more elegant, IMO. Once you
>> have configured your server and clients properly you don't have to
>> care if there's a cron job which runs some script periodically, if the
>> download site is reachable via http or ftp, etc.
> With the known weaknesses of autokey, I don't see how *any* use of
> autokey can be considered "elegant".
>
> But this is exactly the sort of thing that could go into a new extension
> field, and I'd love to see what other information we could usefully put
> there, too.
Agreed -

> Right now the list of interesting items I can think of is:
>
> - TAI offset
> - a bit signifying "I'm in interleave mode"
>
> We don't have enough room to encode the TAI offset into a 4-byte EF, so
> if we use an 8-byte EF that gives us the low-order data byte for the TAI
> offset, and the high-order bit for interleave mode, and that gives us
> another 23 bits to use for other things.

Regards,
Todd Glassey
Standard Confidentiality Provisions and Disclaimer Provisions apply;