[ntp:hackers] Should configure find openssl on debian by default?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Mar 28 02:35:04 UTC 2016

Brian Utterback writes:
> On 3/27/2016 11:46 AM, Brian Utterback wrote:
> > I am running under Virtual Box. I downloaded the iso from Debian and
> > it is called "debian-8.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso".
>
> When I run the build script it builds in a directory called
> A.x86_64-unknown-debian8.3 which makes me think that there is something
> about my system that causes configure to misidentify my system.

cvo.sh produces a CPU-VENDOR-OS string that I have always found to be
more useful than the stuff config.guess returns, especially for Linux
boxes.

In your case, the CPU is being identified as x86_64, the 64-bit x86
CPU.  This is equivalent to what the distro calls "amd64".

There is no "vendor" associated with this, so "unknown" is used.

Your OS is identified as "debian8.3", which also seems to match your
reality.

Do you think we're mis-identifying anything?

The CPU-VENDOR-OS stuff is used to identify mostly OS-vendor-specific
stuff where feature testing can be Very Difficult.  It is also
mega-useful for cross-compiling.