[ntp-legal] [ntp:hackers] Fw: Licensing requirements NTP

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Thu Dec 20 13:10:26 UTC 2007

"David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote:
> I already answered this. Did you get a copy/
> Dave
> TS Glassey wrote:
> > Hey guys - is this true and if so where is the pointer. If its not
> >> Dear Sir or Madam,
> >>
> >> We are working with our client Reuters Ltd to help them classify all
> >> products in their inventory under Export Control Regulations. I
> >> understand
> >> that the software NTP TimeServer version 4.2.0a is classified in the
> >> US as
> >> 5D992, but does not need a licence to be exported, as it has already
> >> been
> >> government approved as a ?Mass Market? product. That is to say, the
> >> product meets the requirements of the Cryptography Note under the US and
> >> EU regulations.

Dave -
  I'm not awfully interested in the answer unless it contains some
good history of the Munitions Control Board, but in between ntp-hackers (where
I feel most comfortable, as my natural interests are in hacking refclocks
of the most unusual kinds), ntp-legal, and the "ntpwg" developments
I feel like I'm seeing at most half a conversation, and probably much
less, about what's going on, and it seems to me like the conversation
about what's going on seems to outscale what's actually going on by a factor
of ten or more. I get concerned when it looks
like I'm going to lose my ability to hack refclocks into the future, but
I don't see that happening yet despite a couple of loudmouths. I watch
ntp-legal to keep an eye on the loudmouths.

  I am very very happy that my dabbling in refclocks over the decades
has resulted in a couple lines of my code making it into the distribution!

  I found it moderately amusing that I googled "NTP working group"
to help figure out what the "ntpwg" list was, and Google asked me:

>>> Did you mean: "NOT working group"?

Tim.