[ntp-legal] [ntpwg] Please license the NTPv4 MIB under the NTP Copyright

Brian Haberman brian at innovationslab.net
Thu Sep 30 16:55:19 UTC 2010

Dave,

On 9/30/10 11:23 AM, Dave Hart wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:34 UTC, Brian Haberman
> <brian at innovationslab.net> wrote:
>> >From my reading of the TLP, I don't think we need to do anything else.
>> The MIB DESCRIPTION clause contains the following:
>>
>>         Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as
>>         authors of the code.  All rights reserved.
>>
>>         Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
>>         without modification, is permitted pursuant to, and subject
>>         to the license terms contained in, the Simplified BSD License
>>         set forth in Section 4.c of the IETF Trust's Legal Provisions
>>         Relating to IETF Documents
>>         (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info).
>>
>> If you read Section 4.e of the TLP states that for Code Components
>> extracted from an IETF document, they either have to reproduce the
>> entire Simplified BSD license *or* include the text contained in Section
>> 6.d.  And Section 6.d contains the text included in the above
>> DESCRIPTION clause.
>>
>> So if the correct copyright and licensing is included in the MIB, why
>> would we need to do anything else?
>
> "TLP" == IETF Trust Legal Provisions, for those that don't recognize
> it, at http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info/

Yes. Apologies for not expanding my acronyms.

> Would a binary distribution which includes ntpsnmpd also include
> ntpv4-mib.mib?  In that case, perhaps there is no problem.  This is

I have never seen an snmp daemon store MIB definitions in binary form.
Generally, the network administrator dumps the MIBs of interest into a
sub-directory that is then read by the snmp agent prior to use.

> the paragraph of the IETF BSD license that concerns me:
>
> "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."
>
> And that following disclaimer is about 10 lines of ALL CAPS, THANK YOU
> LAWYERS.  If we interpret that the MIB is never redistributed in
> binary form, only in original text form, than we can assume that
> doesn't apply and we're not complicating licensing for binary
> distributions including ntpsnmpd.

That is my take on this.  And that is the take of a few other SNMP gurus
that I asked about this yesterday.  I believe Karen is querying the IETF
Trustees to see if that was their interpretation as well.

Regards,
Brian