[ntpwg] Documents, slides, etc. from WG meeting

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Oct 24 14:27:45 UTC 2007

In message: <471F357F.3040707 at meinberg.de>
            Heiko Gerstung <heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de> writes:
: UTC but "relative" synchronization to the same source. Since one of its
: design goals (as far as I interprete it) is sub-microsecond accuracy, it
: is not working very well over WAN links and other asymmetric network
: infrastructures (imagine the unpredictable delay a regular
: store-and-forward switch introduces when it is queueing packets) . NTP
: does a much better job in such an environment, no doubt about that.

IEEE 1588 doesn't like switches that haven't been designed
specifically to pass 1588 traffic with constant latency.  It would do
much worse with routers.  At least for v1.  I've not looked at v2 at
all.

Warner