[ntpwg] Documents, slides, etc. from WG meeting

Greg Dowd GDowd at symmetricom.com
Wed Oct 24 20:45:29 UTC 2007

At the recent ISPCS2007 plugfest, there were dozens of oem's demoing v2
of IEEE1588.  Symmetricom demonstrated v2 default profile (multicast)
and telecom profile (unicast) as did many others.  The v2 draft isn't
final yet which I imagine is why you don't see "pre-n" grandmasters
showing up as GA product.

In the unicast, multicast arena the same problem with delay requests
already applies but it's even worse.  V1 delay requests/response are
multicast (many-to-many).  In the v2 unicast model, each client
negotiates their own announce, sync and delay request flows with the
master.  More load on the master but the other ne's get the benefit.
Also, depending on the physical network implementation, some networks
don't allow multicast in both directions.

There is discussion ongoing on blended approaches such as that you
mentioned (mc sync with unicast delay) but that has the stronger
possibility of creating path asymmetry for time applications.  One thing
I haven't seen mentioned is separation of sync and servo.  In ntp, the
servo is intrinsically part of the protocol while 1588 separates the
two.

Lastly, regardless of the protocol the network itself is only capable of
passing phase and frequency to some level which is very difficult to
identify.  Google minTDEV.

Ok, jury duty calls.