[time] Stats

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder
Mon Oct 11 21:24:17 UTC 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 21.12, Nick Warne wrote:
> On Monday 11 October 2004 20:07, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
wrote:
> > Makes a total of 243 timeservers in the project right now.

> I haven't stopped - it hard to try to win people over sometimes for what
> is good for them:
>
> http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=linux&Number=1442
>210

:-)

There is now 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org and 2.pool.ntp.org, so you won't
ever get the same server twice by accident or by using a bad nameserver.

I don't think people using the pool should use 4 or more timeservers. 3 is
absolutely sufficient, I guess even 2 or 1 timeserver is usually enough
(Debian by default just uses one pool.ntp.org timeserver, for instance. For
most applications, this is enough - for servers, 2 or 3 is of course more
reliable, especially since ntpd doesn't resolve the names again if a
timeserver becomes unreachable.)

greetings
-- vbi

--
Error reading FAT record: Try the SKINNY one? (Y/N)