[time] outlier

David J Taylor david-taylor
Thu Nov 2 10:41:58 UTC 2006

Kiss Gabor wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> Could you explain me what the word 'outlyer' means in all NTP related
> documents? Should I worry about remote servers marked with space in
> output of "ntpq -p" or not?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gabor

It's where one system is grossly different to all the rest.  Suppose that
you had 10 server.  Your offsets with 9 servers are in the range -0.1s to
+0.1s, but one server shows an offset of 0.9s.  It would be the
"outlier" - something which lies outside the rest.  See:

  http://eksl.cs.umass.edu/eis/pages/glossary/entries/outlier.html

  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=IRFA,IRFA:2006-05,IRFA:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=define:+outlier&spell=1

David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu