[time] Accuracy goal of the pool

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask
Mon Nov 13 21:09:48 UTC 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 4:18 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:

The measurements are only meant to answer the question "is this
server replying to ntp requests and are the replies sane".   It's
(almost) a binary thing.  For the measurements I don't care if the
offset is 1ms or 100ms.

My experience is that either the ntpd is in sync and whatever offset
I see is temporary/random/due to network lag or the server completely
lost any semblance of sanity and the clock is running wild.

In the future we'll have more accurate monitoring which will satisfy
the data junkies among us (myself included) and allow me to filter
out the occasional server that has a constant offset of say 110ms.
But to run the pool it's not really necessary.

  - ask

--
http://askask.com/  - http://develooper.com/