[time] More fun with Geo DNS

Guillaume Filion gfk
Tue Nov 14 14:42:29 UTC 2006

Chris Hastie a ?crit :
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Guillaume Filion <gfk at logidac.com> wrote
>> Right now the prototype is using the HTTP Geo City Service from MaxMind
>> (http://www.maxmind.com/app/web_services_city_usage), so every DNS query
>> generates a HTTP query to MaxMind. I've implemented a caching mechanism
>> to reduce the number of HTTP queries, but in production this would need
>> to be improved.
>
> I wonder if the "GeoLite" version would be sufficiently accurate, with
> the advantage that you could hold the data locally and do away with the
> HTTP queries?

That what I used at first, but when GeoLite doesn't find an accurate
result, it defaults to coordinates specific for the country
(http://www.maxmind.com/app/country_latlon). For example, for Canada, it
ends up at 60,-95 i.e.: the middle of the tundra.

To mitigate that problem, I set up a GeoLite "blacklist" with fail over
to hostip.info. However, the hostip.info data is so unreliable that it
didn't provide any real benefit.

Since switching to the paid-for version, I did not have a single error
caused by IP->lat/lon resolution.

Best,
GFK's
--