[time] More fun with Geo DNS

Ryan Malayter malayter
Thu Nov 16 15:03:12 UTC 2006

I decided to test again from my Sprint EVDO wireless service. THe DNS
Servers appear to be in US/Georgia for this connection, even though I
am in US/Illinois.

Disregarding that issue, which will probably be present for all many
wireless and sattelite users, there is another problem with the
results when I query all the hosts. I received the same IP adress for
1.ntp-pool-test.logidac.com and 2.ntp-pool-test.logidac.com:

Hostname Country Code Country Name Region Region Name City Postal Code
Latitude Longitude ISP Organization Metro Code Area Code
66.255.148.51 US United States TN Tennessee Cleveland 37311 35.0978
-84.9115 USLEC Corp. Win World 575 423
66.115.136.4 US United States GA Georgia Marietta  33.9532 -84.5177
NationalNet NationalNet 524 770
66.115.136.4 US United States GA Georgia Marietta  33.9532 -84.5177
NationalNet NationalNet 524 770
216.27.160.99 US United States GA Georgia Atlanta  33.8004 -84.3865
Speakeasy Speakeasy 524 770
216.157.142.48 US United States GA Georgia Atlanta 30340 33.8991
-84.2537 Vortech Sacha Bernstein 524 77

I'm not sure if this is a transient problem, caused by some randomess
in the ordering when to sites are "equal" in distance? Or is there
something systemic going on?

I would think your algorithm should probably short by LAT/LONG
distance first, and then perhaps by closeness of IP adress (cast as
32-bit int) or some other deterministic function to ensure that the
same server isn't returned twice for successive queries of hosts
0,1,2...

Please let me know if you have seen this in other tests, or if you
think this duplicate issue is just a particularly bad artifact of a
mobile wireless connection. I was on a moving train during my test, so
it is possible that I switched IP addresses or DNS servers at some
point due to lost packets.

Regards,

--
   RPM